Well, hello there! Long time no
see read :) I had to travel a bit for work this week and the bad news is I had no time for blogging. The good news is I got to go to Ikea all by myself. You’ll be seeing some more of that soon but for now I thought I would take a little time to check in on my 2012 goals. Let’s see how I’m doing. I kept the goal and updated in red below…
Around the House:
1. Bonus Room – We use the bonus room lots for watching TV and just lounging around. It is really comfy and cozy but it needs some love and color. And it needs it to be cheap. We’ll see what happens. I actually have a plan for this- curtains, paint, a new chair and some super fun accessories. I’m going to count this as progress.
2. Guest Bedroom– It’s not awful but it needs a little something. We’ll see how we can spice it up a bit. Nothing here yet, but I am starting my mental plan. That does not quite count as progress.
3. Laundry Room– this is a teeny room that gets a lot of use so I know I can’t have one of those luxurious, chandelier-ed laundry spaces, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be prettier. Things can always be prettier, right? We hung the hooks I got for Christmas which has drastically helped in the organization department and, like the bonus room, we’ve got a pretty good plan for some shelving and lighting. More progress, it just needs more money.
5. Grow something- At my old house, I had the most wonderful little herb garden. I would go out there and cut whatever I needed for for whatever I was cooking right then. I would add some veggies and fruit in the spring and I just loved it.
In this house, I added a few herbs right out the back door last year, but I am ready for a real garden in the back yard. It will happen!– I count this one as a major success so far! I’ve started seeds, almost lost my whole “crop,” and made them a little bed. I can’t wait to show you the progress (next week, hopefully :))
And then planting some tulips in the fall. Watch out Spring 2013! This one isn’t even “due” yet. Check back this fall.
6. Hang Curtains-
in my BFF’s house. Yes, BFF, this is important enough to make the list. She painted her bedroom the most fabulous teal-ish color and bought these at World Market.
I just need to pack up my drill and level and head to her house. I wonder if she would even let you peek at the finished product? (hint, hint :)) CHECK! This one is done and looks GREAT and she even let me share here. Thanks, Bff!
4. Light It Up- I have 2 sets of lamps from the flea market that are in desperate need of a make-over. One set is even on our bedside tables and gets used every day! I have been waiting seriously over a year to redo them. I even bought the paint so I need to get those done! Half success? I actually got the ones below completed (thanks to some wiring help from my daddy- THANK YOU!) but I just haven’t had a chance to write it up yet. The others, I have no idea what I’m going to do with. Oh, and I added another lamp to the redo list. And I may have gotten a shade for it at Ikea, but you’ll see that soon enough :)
5. Christmas in July- Well, maybe not quite that early, but I hope to start decorating, shopping, planning, wrapping and all that jazz way earlier this year. Christmas came so fast last year, I want to be ready this time around so we can just sit around and enjoy every second. I have a few more months. I’m not even procrastinating yet.
In the Kitchen
1. Add Some Variety- I cook, lots. And I love it. I can have a stressfull day then come home and chop up veggies or bake something yummy and it really makes me feel better (the eating it part helps too) but sometimes I just run out of time to try new recipes. I have some really, really great cookbooks so I want to use them more and try new things. I’ve tried several new things and used both of these books and a few other new ones, I just haven’t written them all up yet. I’ve also fallen madly in love with Pioneer Woman. Her meatloaf is life changing. Yep, I really mean it. Life Changing Meatloaf.
2. Try Some Classics- For some reason there are a few things I’ve never tackled. I would like to change that this year. Here’s what I’m thinking:
- Lasagna- I’ve made the veggie variety but never the classic stuff and I love me some lasagna. no attempts, yet, but P-Dubs recipe may be all I need to inspire me. Yummmm.
- Chicken Broth- I’ve heard it’s easy, so why not try making my own? Not yet. Boo.
- Roast Chicken- We eat just about every kind of chicken out there. If you really are what you eat, I would be clucking this to you. But I’ve never roasted a whole chicken. Let’s change that this year. Not Yet, I’ll get there, right?
- Real Biscuits- I have made real biscuits before, but its been awhile. Like it may have been for a 4-H project. I got a new pastry blender for Christmas so I am armed and
dangerous ready for some fluffy, yummy biscuits. This past weekend I made some super yummy homemade biscuits. OMG, they really were great. I will share STAT!!
- Fried Chicken- My Mama makes the BEST so this is probably the most ambitious but worth a try. I’m still really good at eating it, but haven’t tried to fry it. Mama, teach me, please?
- Creme Brulee- Have torch, will scorch. Eventually. You can guess the answer here- not yet.
1. Jewelry- I’m not a crazy jewlery wearer, but somehow I have a drawer overflowing with it and various boxes in the closet. It’s insane. I forget what I have. It’s not working. I need
therapy organization. Check! And it’s still working. Yay for successful organization! Read about my FREE project here.
2. My Closet- I may not be a crazy jewelry wearer, but I am that crazy shoe girl. I have some shoes. Don’t ask me how many. I also have some clothes to wear with said shoes. Sometimes these items end up on the floor. And sometimes they stay there. What I’m saying is my closet does NOT look like this.
It needs some love this year and some regular maintenance. PROGRESS! It’s no where near perfect, but we’re getting there!
3. The Office– Papers beware, I’m coming for you. It took 2 tries, but CHECK! The office is working much better thanks to some initial purging and some help from the Container Store!
1. Home Tour- I have blog stats. You’re clicking here, I see you! I bet you would like something to look at, right? I’m working on that. Maybe I’ll show you a room per week? What do you think? One word- FAIL!
2. Design/Mood/Inspiration Boards- I am always seeing things that maybe wouldn’t fit in my house but that I love and they inspire me so why not put together and show you what I’m thinking. Just maybe they’ll work in your Home Sweet Here. Ditto.
3. Get to know you- This is for you. There are not a bajillion of you out there reading, but there are some of you (see #1- I see you!) and I love you already. When I get a comment notification or a new follower, or even a “like” it makes my
day week. I just ask that you don’t be shy! Let me know you’re out there. Say hi! If you don’t want to leave a comment where everyone can see, email me or use the contact page. This is just a side hobby for me, so it may take me a day or 2 to get back to you but I will, that’s a promise. So many of you have told me that you were working on a similar project- show me! I want to see. Let’s share. Sharing is fun. How are we doing here? You tell me, maybe in a comment :)
And a few personal things
1. Take a vacation- Yes please, stat. My little work trip does not count, but we’re hoping for sun, sand and relaxation in the fall. When all the kids are back in school. Peaceful :)
2. Paint my fingernails- Sounds ridiculous but I never do this. Ever. Sitting still for that long is hard, but I covet pretty painted fingernails. I actually did this a few times. I need to do it a few more. I may get all crazy someday and get a real manicure. Living on the edge for real.
3. Enjoy- Everything. Simple enough, but that vacation will probably help ;) A work in progress, but I think I’m doing quite well.
So, I’m thinking I’m doing pretty good for May, right? There are still lots to do but it’s nice to have a few checked off. How are your goals going for the year? Are you enjoying checking things off your list? It kind of makes me feel like I can accomplish a few more things, maybe I’ll go paint my nails and roast a chicken. See you next week :)